Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Harmful Effects of Sugar

I’ve been reading much lately on the effects that sugar has on the body. I am a reactive hypoglycemic who’s been diagnosed as pre-diabetic (diabetes runs in my family) and so this is an area that is of great interest to me.

I grew up in a household where treats and anything containing the addictive taste of sugar was always at hand. I spent my childhood eating plenty of sweet-laden treats with no discipline on how much was enough; I spent my 20s surviving on coffee and sweets as a substitute for healthy food; I spent my 30s still doing some of the same, though by then, the accumulative effects of sugar were beginning to take a toll. I felt jittery and tired on most occasions.

Then the 40s came around and the body sent a dire signal: stop the consumption of sugar or pay for it dearly. When I started getting daily dizzy spells and feeling such an overall horrible sense of malaise I went to visit an endocrinologist who diagnosed me as a reactive hypoglycemic. So, I spent the better part of my 40s knowing that I now had a condition that I had to heed and take care of, yet all the while having an extremely difficult time letting go of that sweet craving. Sugar, like alcohol, is extremely addictive and the person who suffers from its addiction sometimes has a very hard time letting go, despite the health risk involved.

Then recently I began getting more involved in the business of health. The time finally came where I could no longer live ostrich-like and not face the possibility that a road to deteriorating health would soon await me if changes, drastic changes, were not implemented immediately. One of my key concerns was sugar because of the hypoglycemia and because of the way that I felt on most days – which I knew was related to diet.

So I became more conscious of the amount of sugar I consumed daily. I began reading labels and was mostly interested in the hidden sugars one gets through processed foods, any of those hidden ose/itol forms – fructose, dextrose, glucose, lactose, maltose, mannitol, sorbitol, sucrose, and xylitol . It was daunting. Every single processed food had hidden sugars. Unless one is a vegan or follows a macrobiotic diet, then this would be very easy - vegetables, fruits, beans, lentils (and not those in cans), and no processed anything. Okay, processed foods pretty much covers 80% of the supermarket – now what? And, now what is where I am.

I would love to follow a vegan lifestyle; oh, how I wish I could. Yet, every time I have tried I get extremely lethargic and weak from lack of sufficient protein. My body, because of the hypoglycemia, does not function well, unless I have sufficient amount of protein and fat with each meal. So, I have to look for the specific proteins – animal, nuts and cheese – that serves as my dietary guide. I have begun incorporating more vegetables into my meals, have eliminated sodas, have cut down considerably on sweets, and use protein to fill 1/3 of my plate, instead of the past usual half. I eat organic as much as I can.

But at the supermarket reading labels has been daunting. Yet, I know that once I get the hang of it, it will have been hours and frustrations well worth spent.

I recently began reading anything and everything that deals with health and nutrition. And I have found that sugar, that tasty substance that we are all addicted to, is so very, very bad for so many, many reasons. Below are 27 reasons why:

1. Sugar suppresses your immune system. Yes it does, folks.
2. Sugar increases adrenaline, causes hyperactivity and anxiety.
3. Sugar raises your total cholesterol, triglycerides and bad cholesterol and decreases your good cholesterol.
4. Sugar feeds cancer cells. You read it right. It feeds cancer cells and has been connected with the development of breast, ovary, prostate, rectum, pancreas, lung, gallbladder, and stomach cancers.
5. Sugar can cause reactive hypoglycemia. Well, I know this first hand.
6. Sugar can eventually lead to diabetes and damage your pancreas.
7. Sugar can cause indigestion, increase your risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.
8. Sugar promotes yeast infections.
9. Sugar can promote tooth decay and periodontal disease.
10. Sugar can also contribute to osteoporosis.
11. Sugar can lower your Vitamin E levels
12. Sugar can increase your systolic blood pressure.
13. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.
14. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy. I did not know this.
15. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease.
16. Sugar can increase your body's fluid retention and increase your risk of gout.
17. Sugar can make your tendons more brittle.
18. Sugar can cause headaches and migraines; it can cause depression.
19. Sugar can increase your risk of Alzheimer's disease.
20. Sugar can imbalance your hormones and increase estrogen in men and worsen premenstrual syndrome in women.
21. Sugar can lead to dizziness. Oh, yeah, I know this for a fact.
22. Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.
23. A decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.
24. Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with ADHD. Parents, listen up.
25. Sugar can slow down the ability of your adrenal glands to function properly.
26. High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.
27. Sugar can cause gum disease.

If you would like a complete listing of the harmful effects of sugar, click here. That being noted, I have been trying very diligently to decrease the amount of sugar I consume daily. And two things I have noticed immediately. The less sugar I eat, the fewer cravings for it I have. And, after staying off foods for a couple of days that have any ose substance in it, once I eat that food again, I notice how exceedingly sweet it really is! Our taste buds have become so desensitized to the taste of sugar that the more we consume it, the less sugary it tastes to us. And that is a scary, scary thing.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Speaking of sugar, have you looked into the connection with intracellular calcium homeostasis?

Calcium-binding proteins have a unique ability to help with health.

Anonymous said...

I worry more about high fructose corn syrups than plain sugar.

Anonymous said...

As usual, your writing is really so good. It entices the reader to want more.

As for the sugar, I watch every waking hour what I eat and drink.
A dark chocolate Dove mini bar is a rare treat, even though it is my favorite. I'm kind of lucky because cakes never really drew me in. Just DARK CHOCOLATE!!

Anonymous said...

Could you please cite the reference for suggesting that sugar can cause preeclampsia (toxemia, as you term it)?

It sounds like a dangerous old wives' tale.

rebecca said...

anonymous re. preeclampsia -

the information gathered for this piece can be found at the link included in the last paragraph (i have rewritten the sentence to include the link for anyone else who might have other questions.) the writer has published many books on health, so I'm assuming her information is solid.

the only thing i can add to the toxemia/sugar connection is from personal experience. with my last child, i developed toxemia (this after two children). my love for sugar is well-known and i am now suffering many ill after-effects because of it -- i'm a reactive hypoglycemic and pre-diabetic. now, whether i developed toxemia as a result of sugar intake, i do not know. but after reading her article, it does give me some cause to wonder.

in the future, if you would be so kind to leave me your name -- there are many who are not google members and leave comments as "anonymous" but it makes it a little difficult for the reader to see whose "anonymous" i'm responding to.

i hope this answered your question. and thank you for your comment. it does prompt discussion and makes one asks questions, which is always a good thing.

rebecca said...

joshua,

i am not familiar with intracellular calcium homeostasis. i've looked up some info on the web, but most of the articles cited are written by doctors in their jargon. perhaps you can give us a brief layman's description of what that is?

thanks...

rebecca said...

to anonymous who worries more about the high fructose than regular sugar.... i agree, only because it is in almost everything we eat and many times it is only one of several "ose" ingredients listed.

rebecca said...

to the anonymous who likes dark chocolate.... thank you for your comment regarding my writing and i do love Dove minibars, or chocolate in any form! i'm not picky..

please, in the future, could you please leave me your name? this way at least I know who I'm responding to.

thanks again for your lovely compliment.

Unknown said...

99% of calcium is located in the bones. The other 1% of calcium is in the form of an ion (Ca2+). Ca2+ sends signals through the body from cell-to-cell or from neuron-to-neuron.

When there is too much calcium cells die, so you need something to help regulate the Ca2+. Calcium-binding proteins help regulate the Ca2+. When people age they lose the calcium-binding proteins that their bodies make.

To help bring this information in line with the original post.....

Increased insulin/glucose increase Ca2+. All levels, glucose, insulin, calcium, other minerals and sugars, need to be regulated, but having a depletion of calcium-binding proteins keeps the last regulation step from doing its job. In turn, calcium homeostasis is non-existent and cells start dying.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

dharmabum said...

very technical, and very signal. i think i'l wait, like all idiots do, for the body to send those ominous signals. till then, i'll just fool around :)

Crabby McSlacker said...

I think sugar is fine in moderation, but wow, is moderation a hard place to get to! It's a constant battle, but rather than try to eliminate sweets, which I love, I just try to get some control over frequency and portion size.

Kappa no He said...

I am totally with you on this. I grew up with sugar and sweets spilling from bowls on the table. Well, almost.

I try to cut out as much as possible and then slowly it creeps back into my diet. Last night before bed I decided I would give it another shot. Your blog is a sign! A reinforcement! Thank you so much!

rebecca said...

joshua,

i apologize for responding so late and thanking you for that explanation. thank you!

and, yes, the information was definitely helpful. are you in the medical field?

i thank you so much for visiting this blog and inputting your knowledge. it really is appreciated.

best,
rebecca

rebecca said...

ah dharmabum,

that's been me, all of my life. always playing russian roulette with my health in hopes of winning. and, in the end, i found this was one thing i should've never gambled with in life.

i hope you change your mind, dear friend.

rebecca said...

crabby,

i sympathize completely! moderation is hard, especially when you have a sweet tooth!

but, like you, i also take control by frequency and portion size. i think this is the most intelligent way if one cannot seem to eliminate it completely.

best,
rebecca

rebecca said...

terri @ kappa no he,

you're welcome. i'm always looking for any kind of reinforcement i can get myself!

best,
rebecca

RiverSoul said...

Hi rebecca,
Nice health conscious blog you have here.
I learnt something today. I never knew sugar was that harmfull:(
Well, you hav persuaded me to give up my daily dose of 2 tsp sugar in my tea.:)
Somehow, my phone fails to open ur just a thought blog. (I am a mobile Blogger.)
So the nxt time i'm near a pc, be sure to expect a visit from me:)
I really wanna see that post you mentioned about dog cruelty.
Ciao:)
Ps. If you wanna reply to this comment, just post a counter comment, and i'll be notified:)
spsiddharth007@gmail.com

Cynthia said...

Whoa, I did know sugar is not
our friend, but didn't realize
how much. Thanks again Rebecca,
for important information.

You are truly an angel of health,
and mercy.

Jane Doe said...

Refined sugar is the worst. It makes my fibromyalgia pain so much worse. I was on a totally organic diet for a while and only ate natural, unrefined sugar (along with whole wheat flour, etc.), which is much better for you, and my pain was so much less. Unfortunately eating organic is ungodly expensive so I had to stop.

Doe said...

thanks for sharing all this valuable info on sugar...i have a sweet tooth and have been fighting back ever since i found out that i'm on me way to diabetes. I think we're creatures of habit and yes now i can do with way less sugar and many "treats"
are tasting way too sweet!!

much peace

Zz... said...

Hello! Thanks for dropping into my blog...I just had a quick browse through your blogs and I think we have some things in common :)

Looking forward to reading through more of your blogs in time...
Cheers,
Zhen

Zz... said...

hey i just found a great healthy convenient snack for when your sugar levels drop low(all too familiar feeling when semester is on for me!)...my friend dries thinly sliced fruit like mangos, bananas, pears etc in bulk and stores them in snaplock bags in the freezer...they are awesome-so delicious even nicer than lollies- healthy, no sugar, no preservatives instant energy and "sweet fix"!