Friday, January 7, 2011

RECIPE FOR BLACK BEANS AND TEST


If the weather permits, this weekend I'm supposed to be going to a get-together. These are the true tests of willpower. With so much food around, it is hard not to eat without thinking. And what do they have at all these get-togethers? Of course, all the bad, i.e. good, stuff! Foods in the form of fat and sugar of course! *sigh* I just know I'm going for it. And I can't because I still haven't met my weight goal for this week so it's not like I can cheat. Maybe that will keep me honest.

On the upside I've had no soda since Saturday. That's a plus.
I've had no chips since then either. That's a plus.
And no cakes or cookies too. That's a plus.

Went to the supermarket and didn't buy any of that stuff. Unfortunately, the way we roll here is if it's in the home, then it's game. I also made a batch of black beans from scratch and they came out delish and I've been measuring my meals. But still no weight loss. What's up with that?! I'm sticking to my five small meals but you know what, come to think of it, what I have not been doing and what I read is a good tool in losing weight is drinking water. If you drink two glasses of water before each meal and snack you're guaranteed to not eat so much, hence, weight loss. I need to get on that pronto.

Here's the recipe for the Cuban Black Beans for anyone who's interested. It's so simple to make and so much more healthier. Trying to eliminate any can foods will help in your weight loss because of the sodium required to keep these foods palatable and safe to eat. And we all know sodium = salt = weight gain. Personally, I try to stay away from as much processed/canned foods as possible.

Ingredients:
1 lb. dried black beans
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cups water
1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
1 TBSP of vinegar
2 TSP salt
1 TSP sugar
1 TSP black pepper
6 large cloves garlic

Soak beans in a large pot of water overnight.

When ready to cook following day, chop onion, green and red peppers and garlic into small pieces. Add olive oil to pan and saute chopped ingredients until tender.

Meanwhile rinse beans and add the 5 cups of water and put to boil. Discard any beans that float to the top. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the above ones once tender and bring to a boil.

Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour and a half or until beans are tender.


Sayonara my bananas and remember as close to nature is always best!

3 comments:

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations said...

I also like to make my own black beans rather than using canned. I don't always do it but frequently.

Aubrie said...

I love recipes with black beans!

Ed Pilolla said...

this sounds so good:) i like black beans and eat plenty but never like this.